Parish Councillors: Staunton Coleford Parish Council comprises 7 Councillors are there are currently no vacancies.

Any vacancies will be advertised locally. Parish Councillor vacancies can be filled through co-option or election. If you would like to discuss the options please contact the Parish Clerk or follow this link to find out more about becoming an elected member.

Councillors are elected by the public and serve four year terms in office; these were unpaid positions until 2004 when allowance schemes were introduced to encourage more people to stand for election. Allowances, which tend not to be very large, are at the discretion of the individual councils and most still choose to maintain an unpaid status.

If you wish to stand as a councillor you must satisfy these requirements:

  • You need to be over 18 years of age
  • A British citizen, a qualifying Commonwealth citizen, or a citizen of any other member state of the European Union
  • On the Electoral Register for the council area for which you wish to stand,
  • A local government elector of the parish; or a person who during the whole of the twelve months before nomination as a candidate occupied land or other premises as owner or tenant in the parish; or has, during the same period, resided in that area or within three miles thereof; or has during the same period, had a principal or only place of work in that area.

You cannot stand for election if you:

  • Are bankrupt and an Order or Interim Restriction Order has been imposed.
  • Have, within five years before the day of the election, been convicted in the United Kingdom of any offence and have had a sentence of imprisonment (whether suspended or not) for a period of over three months without the option of a fine
  • Work for the council where you are intending to standing for election (but you can work for other local authorities, including the principal authorities that represent the same area).
  • Have been convicted or reported guilty of a corrupt or illegal practice by an election court, or have been disqualified from standing for election to a local authority